In Ballingeary, 1912
(Credit: Ted Ó Conaill)
Father Patrick Hurley/ Pádraig Ó Muirthile (1841-1908). Born in Enniskeane, Co. Cork, Hurley was the Parish Priest of Uibh Laoire (including Ballingeary and Gougane Barra) from 1888 to 1908. He stabilised the ancient ruins of Gougane Barra, and with the support of a wealthy American, native of the parish, erected the Oratory on the Island.
Fr Hurley also worked to promote industrial revival in the area and opened up the country by supporting the establishment of tourist coaches in the area. He started a lace making school and, in 1904, he established Coláiste Múinteoireachta na Mumhan, Ballingeary itself. His 1905 article on the establishment of the Coláiste gives a detailed description of its early days and the thinking behind its establishment.
Foinse/source: P. Hurley, Southern Star, 1905.